DIRECTOR OF CHILDREN’S MINISTRIES
Join us at Princeton United Methodist Church
Take this incredible opportunity to love where you work and the team you work with while using your gifts and depth of spirit to form children and their families in Christian faith. Princeton UMC in Princeton, NJ, is an energetic, enthusiastic, diverse community, who needs your creativity and leadership to shepherd our children’s ministry into increased depth, strength, and vitality. You will join and lead a team of the most passionate, gifted, loving group of teachers, musicians, and ministry leaders you will find. Interested? Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Director of Children Ministries in the subject line.
Title: Director of Children’s Ministries
Status: Part-time exempt, 11-month position (August thru June) plus 4 weeks’ vacation
Reports to: Discipleship Pastor
Primary Role: The Director of Children’s Ministries leads, equips, empowers the Christian Education Team and Children’s Ministry volunteers to shape a robust and vital ministry to help children grow in faith, fellowship, spiritual formation, and discipleship, encourage their full participation in the life of the church, build a strong foundation for a lifelong spiritual journey, and deepen relationships with God, one another, and the greater church community.
PUMC Employees offer their gifts, time, and service to help us live into our mission to be a diverse community joyfully responding to God’s love and growing as Disciples of Christ by nurturing, teaching, reaching, and serving ALL people.
Profile, Gifts, Competencies: You have a depth of spirit and a deep commitment to your own spiritual formation and growth. You love children and they love you. You see children as full participants in the church, as people who teach adults to live into the Kingdom of God just as much as they need a loving and supportive community to grow into mature. You are a visionary leader, ready to shepherd our children’s ministry into increased depth and strength. You are able to build, equip, and encourage teams, coordinating them to fulfill a vision. You have gifts of teaching, wisdom, administration, shepherding, and leadership. You have a growing intercultural competence. You are a learner, committed to teamwork and diversity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works collaboratively in team environment with staff and Christian Education Committee to develop and manage strategy and annual goals and budget for Children’s Ministries.
- Leads and directs the planning and coordination for the Sunday School program for children’s nursery through middle school.
- Recruits volunteers with the right gifts to serve as teachers and volunteers. Provides leadership, training and support to the Sunday School teachers, Nursery Care Lead and volunteers.
- Works collaboratively with the Sunday School teachers and Christian Education Committee to select curriculum and provide Christian Education experiences that lead to lifelong spiritual growth and discipleship. Is a supporting presence to teachers, parents and children during the Sunday school time.
- Identifies and collaborates with staff and volunteers to provide other opportunities for children’s ministries throughout the church and calendar year including participation in worship and leads volunteers in planning events like the annual Advent Night program.
- Collaborates with the Director of Children and Youth Music to plan and coordinate special events that enrich the lives of our children and all in our congregation like the Christmas Pageant, children’s musical and children’s Sundays.
- Identifies needs of parents and families of our children and collaborates with the Discipleship Pastor and other members of the clergy and staff to identify and recommend programs or events that may address those needs, e.g. education and fellowship for parents and family-focused, multi-generational programs and events.
- Minimum of a Bachelors’ degree, preferably in education or ministry studies.
- Previous experience leading or supporting children’s ministry programs.
Nursery Care Leader