Office Assistant – February 2020
Title: Office Assistant
Status: Part-time Non-Exempt
Time: 16 Hours/Week (3 or 4 days/week) with 15 PTO Days
Take this incredible opportunity to love where you work and the team you work with while using your gifts in office administration and communications and your own depth of spirit to support our Lead Pastor and all of our programs. Princeton UMC in Princeton, NJ, is an energetic, enthusiastic, diverse community, that needs your administrative, organizational, communications and technology skills and creativity. You will join a team of passionate, gifted and committed clergy and staff. Interested? Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Administration and Communications in the subject line. The full job description is posted on our website at www.princetonumc.org -> About Us -> Employment.
All PUMC employees offer their gifts, time, and service to help us live into our mission to be a diverse community joyfully responding to God’s love and growing as Disciples of Christ by nurturing, teaching, reaching, and serving ALL people.
Primary Role: This position is responsible for the efficient and effective running of the church office. This includes answering the phone, handling the mail, ordering supplies, ensuring the maintenance of office equipment and the security system, and is the primary point of contact with all outside vendors and those that utilize our space. The Office Assistant sets up and maintains the files for vendors, contracts and PUMC personnel. This position reports to the Lead Pastor and works closely with the Administrative and Communication Manager, other members of clergy and staff, Chairs of Board of Trustees and Finance and Stewardship Committees, and representatives of outside organizations that utilize our facility.
Profile, Gifts, Competencies: You have a depth of spirit and a deep commitment to your own spiritual formation and growth. You are highly organized, work autonomously and pro-actively, and come up with new ideas for improving the efficiency of running the office. You work effectively in a team-based organization with all members of clergy and staff, lay leaders and congregants. You work with volunteers who support the church’s administrative and communications efforts. You are a partner with the Administrative and Communication Manager. You value the confidentiality of the information that you must work with in this role. You possess intercultural competence and are a learner, committed to teamwork and diversity.
1. Perform general office tasks including ordering supplies, handling mail, answering the phone, coordinating bulk mailings (e.g. Stewardship Campaign, Easter and Christmas letters, quarterly giving statements), making copies, insuring maintenance of office equipment, etc.
2. Manage scheduling of room usage and update calendar accordingly. Interface with sexton regarding room set up requirements.
3. Prepare reports for annual Church Conference as well as other reports as required by General NJ Conference and Capitol District.
4. Issue and track security tokens and maintain door schedule.
5. Manage contracts, payments and usage by outside organizations; maintain updated contracts; maintain up-to-date vendor files and contracts.
6. Manage schedule, contracts and payments for weddings and funerals. Interface with Pastor and Coordinators.
7. Gather volunteer schedules for all services (e.g. ushers, greeters, readers, projectionists, sound) and update Planning Center Online.
8. Update church data base and pull reports as needed.
9. Manage process for ordering flowers/plants for Easter and Christmas services.
10. Order materials from Conference as needed for Worship and other programs.
11. Maintain All Saints List, prepare certificates for acolyte recognition and confirmation.
12. Assist Financial Secretary as needed with updating records.
13. Manage certain accounts including EFT, church credit card, petty cash, transfers and deposits for Endowment, etc.
14. Handle donation receipts and paperwork for reimbursements.
15. Maintain records of membership, baptism, confirmations and transfers and the church directory.
16. Complete Membership Audit with Lead Pastor and Membership Committee.
17. Coordinate completion of new employee paperwork with Chair of SPRC and Treasurer; maintain employee files including offer letters, I-9s, payroll information, annual objectives and reviews.
· Attend and participate in scheduled staff meetings.
· Back up the Administrative and Communications Manager when they are out of the office.
Requirements of this Position:
· Christian commitment and character.
· Experience working in an office in a church or non-profit preferred.
· Demonstrated excellence in administrative and office skills.
· Experience in church administrative work desired.
· Works autonomously; take ownership of the role.
· Maintains confidentiality and utilizes discretion handling difficult situations.
· Works in a highly team-based, busy environment; interfaces regularly with clergy, staff, laity, outside organizations and members of the community.
· Highly organized, focused, and able to prioritize and juggle many different and frequently disparate tasks.
· Organizes work with and through volunteers.
· Exceptional written and verbal communications skills; excellent listener.
· Works with all individuals in a tactful, supportive and caring manner.
· Initiative is a must.
· Must be approachable, empathetic, and compassionate.
· Must be a problem solver.
· Skilled in use of software including Microsoft Office suite and publisher
· Experience with data base management
· Calendar management
· Project management
Office Assistant – February 2020